Search Your Favorite Recipe

Friday, September 23, 2011

Sop Kacang Merah / Pork Bone Soup with Kidney Beans


I remember growing up eating a lot of this soup. My maternal grandma is the best cook in our family, she passed this recipe to my mom and my aunt, so our big family pretty much growing up eating this dish :)
This dish is one of those Indonesian Chinese type of food.
Indonesian Chinese foods are foods that is commonly cooked by Chinese immigrant who lived in Indonesia, so it's not traditional Indonesian food, nor it is authentic Chinese food, there's a lot of awesomely delicious Indonesian Chinese foods that I will share later. The though of Indonesian Chinese foods always reminds me of hometown and my childhood...and writing about them now makes me cry...hehe... :')
I got the original recipe from my aunt, Ikme, thank you for the recipe Ik <3
I edit the recipe according to my own personal taste.
My aunt use the same amount of the pork and the kidney beans, and she also uses carrot on her soup, other that that, it should taste the same :)
Note from my aunt: if you use the dry kidney beans, after you soaked it in the water for one hour, you can cook it together with the pork bones, but if you use the ready to use canned kidney beans, wait until the pork became tender before you put the kidney beans into the soup.

Ps. You can make this soup with pork bone / pork tail / pork feet, according to your own liking. I was using pork bone + pork feet for my soup. The skin from the pork feet is very soft and chewy (not in a bad way), it's so delicious!

Ingredients,
2 lbs pork bones + pork feet
1 pack of dry kidney beans. soaked in warm water for 1 hour prior to cooking.
2 large leeks, sliced thinly. American leek are huge, if you are using the smaller leek, you might need 4 or 5 of them.
green onion for garnish.
salt, pepper & sugar

Cooking Method,

1. Wash the pork bone and pork feet, then soaked them in cold water for 20 minutes to drain the bloods. If you are in hurry, you can omit this step, I did it too sometimes...haha
2. Boil water on a big pot.
3. Put the pork bone and pork feet into the boiling water, let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Then you'll see the foam rise to the water surface. We don't want those dirty stuff.
4. Throw out the dirty water, rinse the pork bone one more time, rinse the pot, and put new water to the pot.
5. Boil the water with the pork bone in it one more time. Use High temperature
6. Add the kidney beans.
7. Wait until the kidney beans became soft.
8. Add the leek.
9. When the kidney beans start to split open, season the soup with salt and pepper, and add couple pinch of sugar to elevate the taste.
10. Your soup is ready when the pork meat is tender, the kidney beans are soft & some of them are split open, and the soup get thickened.
11. Garnish the soup with green onion, it's ready to eat.

For me, I love to put a handful of chopped green onions for a small bowl of soup :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...