Mie ayam bakso / Egg noodle with chicken and meatball is a very famous dish in Indonesia. Most of the noodle shop own by Chinese immigrant, but other than that we have a lot of hawker style or cheaper version of this noodle too...you can find the noodle cart almost everywhere in Indonesia.
My mom used to have a noodle shop, she sold pork noodle and chicken noodle as well...she made her own noodle, it was a family recipe she got from her parents, my mom also made her home made wonton. I remember her deep fried wonton was crazy delicious!!
So, they are 4 components of this dish that need to be cook separately: the meat, noodle, vegetable and the soup.
8 cups of water
1 pack of pork bone
7 cloves garlic, crush and chop finely
a bunch of green onion (about 7 stalks), slice thinly
1/2 tsp white pepper
3 tsp sugar
3.5 tsp salt
1 pack of beef meatballs (I like to use meatball with tendon)
1. Wash the pork bone and soaked them in cold water for 20 minutes to drain the bloods.
2. Boil water on a big pot.
3. Put the pork bone into the boiling water, let it boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Then you'll see the foam rise to the water surface. We don't want those dirty stuff.
4. Throw out the dirty water, rinse the pork bone one more time, rinse the pot, and put new 8 cups water to the pot.
5. Use high temperature, it it boil then low the heat to simmer. Simmer the bone for at least 3 hours or until the meat fall apart from the bone and the broth turn milky. Add more water to retain the 8 cups amount of broth.
6. Take away all the bones, and meat until you got clean broth.
7. Add the green onions, garlic, white pepper, salt and sugar. Bring to boil one more time, then add the meatballs. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
1.7 lbs ground pork
1 can string mushroom
1 handful garlic, smash and chop finely
3 tbs sweet soy sauce
1.5 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
salt, as needed.
1. Heat a pan, drizzle some olive oil on it.
2. When the oil is hot, add the garlic
3. Stir fry the garlic until fragrant and wilted, but not brown. Then add the meat
4. Stir the meat until it half cooked, then add all the seasoning. When the meat cooked thoroughly, add the mushroom and mix well
5. Set aside the cooked meat
one big bunch of green vegetable, cut into 4 lenghwise
1. Cut the green vegetable and rinse 3 times
2. Divide the green vegetable into 2 part, the leaves and the other bottom half (the leaves cook faster). Boil the quickly and then set aside.
Wonton noodle / thick egg noodle
sweet soy sauce
1. Open the noodle from the knot, then boil them on boiling water until cook (follow the instruction of the packaging).
2. Drain the noodle, then drizzle some sesame oil and sweet soy sauce on the bowl.
3. Add the individual potion into the bowl and mix the noodle with the sesame oil and the sweet soy sauce
place the boil vegetable and meat on top of the noodle. I like to have the meatballs and the soup on separate bowl, some people like to pour the soup into the noodle bowl...it's all up to one's personal preference :)