Search Your Favorite Recipe

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ayam Sambel Matah / Shredded Chicken in Balinese Sauce


Ayam sambel matah, it's really hard to translate this one...but the direct translation is Chicken in Raw Chili Sauce...lol...sounds too funny!! but all the sauce in this dish is literally raw :D
Anyway, I would like to introduce to you, one of the most authentic Balinese food. Usually you will find this dish in Nasi Campur Bali, Balinese style rice topped with various toppings, my favorite food!! Nasi campur Bali that we like to call Nasi Bali, is super delicious, they have different types of toppings depending on where you bought them.
The funny thing is, while I live in Bali, I never ever like this dish. Whenever I order my nasi Bali, I always told them not to put this dish on it. Now that I think about it, I didn't like the dish because they were made out of chicken breast...and I don't like chicken breast, it's dry.
So why I love this dish now? the story began (and actually the same story also started my cooking journey) when I was on my 1st trimester of pregnancy around the end of 2009. The one and only food I craved was...guess what!! it was nasi Bali!! the only thing I couldn't find here in Seattle.
One of my Balinese good friend, Ira, was also pregnant at the same time, and she was also lived far away from home and also was craving for Balinese foods. So we began to try out recipe and shared recipe to each other...this recipe was given to me by her <3

Ps. Usually this dish is cooked using chicken breast, but since I don't like chicken breast, I always use chicken tight or chicken wings. You can use chicken breast if you want.
I like it with skin, if you don't like chicken skin, you don't have to use it, just make it according to your personal taste.

Ingredients,
1 pack of dark chicken meat with skin, you can use chicken tight or chicken wings.
salt
Vegetable Oil

Sauce Ingredients,
12 shallots, thinly sliced ---> I seriously never count, but you need a LOT of them
3 bird eye chilies, thinly sliced
salt
belachan (roasted shrimp paste / terasi)
Olive oil / vegetable oil

Cooking Method,
1. Rub the chicken with salt, then deep fried the chicken in vegetable oil. You can bake the chicken / boil them too, but I like to deep fried the chicken, it make them more tasty and the skin crunchy.
2. Let the chicken cool down, then shredded the chicken.
3. Mixed all the sauce ingredients, use the salt and belachan according to your own personal taste. If your chicken is salty enough, you can omit the salt.
4. Add on the shredded chicken, mixed well.
5. Enjoy it with warm rice, a true authentic Balinese style :)

I love to eat ayam sambel matah with plecing kangkung and steamy white rice, it's the authentic Balinese combo :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...