Thursday, September 22, 2011
Babi Rica-Rica / Pork in Spicy Rica-Rica Sauce
In Indonesia, we have so many different types of spicy foods, and this rica-rica style is originated from Manado region that is very famous for their delicious spicy foods. Rica-rica sauce is spicy, tangy, and very fragrant.
The most famous type of rica-rica is ayam rica-rica (chicken in spicy rica-rica sauce) and ikan bakar rica-rica (grilled fish in spicy rica-rica sauce). I love pork, and this is the recipe for my pork rica-rica, it's very addictive, I had to make a lot of them because once I ate it, I keep wanting to eat it again, again and again!
2 pack of pork butt / pork stomach. I like to use the pork meat that consist the fat.
4 lemongrass, cut and smash it.
5 pandan leaves, knot them individually (diikat)
1 hand full of kafir lime leaf. the more the better!
14 shallots, thinly sliced.
1 to 2 cups of water
Sauce Ingredients A ---> blend all the ingredients in food processor
15 red jalapeno (cabe besar)
4 bird eye chili (cabe rawit)
2 thumbs ginger
Sauce Ingredients B,
salt & sugar
1. Heat the pan, Add the pork cubes. We don't need oil in this step because the fat from the pork will create the oil itself.
2. Stir fry the pork until it's half cook, then set aside.
3. Add olive oil to the pan, wait until the oil is hot.
4. Add shallots, lemongrass, pandan leaves, keep stir them up until the shallots turn brown.
5. Add the blended sauce A and the kafir lime leaf, stir until fragrant. Add lime, salt & sugar according to your personal taste. I usually just add couple pinch of sugar to elevate the taste.
6. Add the half cooked pork into the sauce, stir for 5 minutes, add water then close the pan with the lid.
7. Turn down the heat to low / simmer.
8. Keep stirring every 10 minutes, watch the sauce, don't let it be too dry it would burn.
9. Check if the pork meat is already tender and the sauce thickened. If both conditions are meet, then your dish is ready.
10. Best serve with hot rice, it's the Indonesian way to eat it :)