Search Your Favorite Recipe

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ayam Betutu / Chicken in Traditional Balinese Betutu Sauce


Betutu is a Balinese famous chicken dish, almost all nasi campur Bali will have betutu in it. One of my favorite betutu in Bali is from Warung Adyana, that is also known as Nasi Pasar Burung, I always go there whenever I visit my hometown.
Now that I live far far away from my beloved hometown, I can't get this dish anywhere here...so I started my adventure to try finding the betutu recipe that tasted delicious, and would be comparable to my favorite betutu in Bali. I tried 3 different recipe and finally found this recipe that in my opinion, beat any other recipe that I had tried previously. It's very easy, I don't need to wrap the chicken with banana leaves, and I don't even need to bake it on the oven.
I cooked this dish for my mother who visits me from Bali, she was surprised that the betutu tasted very authentic, she said it tasted just like those betutu sold in Bali :)
This recipe was adapted from Kitchen Warrior's Ayam Betutu Express


Ingredients,
2 pack of sliced chicken
2 tbs coconut oil
500 ml water
one handful chopped lemongrass
salt

Sauce Ingredients ---> blend them all in food processor
20 cloves garlic
3 big shallot / 7 small shallot
2 thumbs ginger
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp kutchery powder (kencur)
1 tsp galangal powder
2 tsp belachan
10 red jalapeno

Cooking Method,
1. Blend all the sauce ingredients in food processor, we want a coarse, not to fine result.




2. Heat 2 tbs coconut oil on a big pan



3. When the oil is hot, add on the blended sauce ingredients and the lemongrass, stir well and season it with salt



4. When the sauce is fragrant, add the chicken pieces and stir well



5. Add on water, let it boil, then simmer covered until the chicken is cook and tender and the water is reduced by half. The thicker the sauce the stronger the taste, adjust it to your own personal taste. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...