Search Your Favorite Recipe

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Steamed Ginger Chicken with Black Fungus & Salted Fish


I remember growing up eating my grandma's food on almost every weekend. When we were young, we would visit Popo (that's how we call her) after church and eat her delicious foods. Yesterday, I suddenly craving her food...I can's stop thinking about her delicious steam ribs. But since I don't have ribs at home, I alternate to chicken to cook the same dish, and it tasted equally great! :)
This dish is also one of the variation of the infamous ginger wine chicken, every household have their own style of ginger chicken. Ginger wine chicken is a type of "ciak po", that's how Indonesian Chinese referred to foods that have a lot of benefit to your health (usually will contain Chinese herb). People eat ciak po when they are sick, recovering from sickness, also for women in their confinement period -40 days after childbirth-  I will post my very own special ginger chicken recipe soon :)




Ingredients,
1 pack of chicken legs, chopped and washed
2 medium size salted fish
1 handful of black fungus

Sauce Ingredients,
1 handful of garlic, crushed
4 shallots, thinly sliced
2 thumbs of ginger, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup light soy sauce
sesame oil
sugar

Cooking Method,
1. Put the garlic, shallots and gingers into the bowl



2. Put the chicken pieces into the bowl, then put the rest of the sauce ingredients into the bowl, Mix well, then cover the bowl. I used aluminium foil to cover the bowl.



3. Let the chicken sit on the fridge for 30 minutes - 2 hours, the longer the better. Today I was cooking late, so I only marinade it for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, soaked the black fungus in warm water and deep fried the salted fish, then shredded it. 



5. Take the chicken out of the fridge, sprinkle the sliced black fungus and the salted fish on top of the chicken. Ps. I change my bowl because it was too small.


6. Cover the bowl with aluminium foil, and poke some holes on the cover. Put the covered bowl into a steamer pan. Add 12 cups water into the steamer pan and steam it on high heat for 1 hour


7. To check if the chicken is cooked, sliced the chicken to the bone, when the chicken is cooked, there shouldn't be any blood. 


8. As other Chinese dish, this dish is best served with a bowl ow rice. Today, I ate it with a bowl of thick plain congee (rice porridge). 











No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...